From: Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub error I've never seen in many installs
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 20:53:48
1 On 10 July 2017 at 22:06, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > grub-install /dev/sda Installing for i386-pc platform.
4 > grub-install: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1. Check
5 > your device.map.
6 >
7 > Where might I find `device.map'... it isn't part of grub2. At least
8 > grep doesn't find it with `qlist grub'
11 As far as I understand it, grub2 will dynamically create the device.map
12 when it needs it, so it doesn't actually exist as a file. On my grub legacy
13 system it is installed as /boot/grub/device.map, with the only contents
14 being "(hd0) /dev/sda".
15
16 How you would feed grub this information *before* it is installed I'm not
17 sure, but maybe look into the USE=device-mapper flag, maybe it installs the
18 grub-mkdevicemap executable.
19
20 Arve