From: Zac Slade <krakrjak@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What happens with masked packages?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 03:50:04
1 On Sunday 26 February 2006 18:57, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2 > > > My proposal at this point, would be for an additional restriction on
3 > > > packages based on a new UPSTREAM variable in the ebuild itself,
4 > > > ACCEPT_UPSTREAM variable in make.conf / the environment, and the
5 > > > package.upstream file in /etc/portage.
6 Stephen and I have talked about this before. The real fleshed out idea is
7 meant to be for a user that might want to follow a package as it moves from
8 alpha->beta->release. While the overall stability of the system might be
9 compromised by globally adding an ACCEPT_UPSTREAM=BETA an individual may be
10 willing to make that compromise to test new applications and provide upstream
11 bug reports before a package has made it to final release.
12
13 > > I read your previous posts about this as that you wanted it to be easier
14 > > to get beta versions but what you want is in fact the exact opposite -
15 > > further restriction. Now I get it.
16 I don't envision it as further restriction, instead it's a way to add
17 seperation of ebuild/software stability. Imagine that I have a package that
18 is in early alpha state and very unstable. However the ebuild for that
19 package does not hurt the system, it's proper and conforms to portage and
20 plays nicely. Under the current system if my ebuild was added to portage it
21 would be masked with package.mask. Under the new system it would not be in
22 package.mask, instead a user would have to set ACCEPT_UPSTREAM=ALPHA or set
23 mypackage ALPHA in package.upstream.
24
25 This also facilitates cvs ebuilds nicely by not having to hard mask
26 everything, but instead making the user choose the system's level of
27 stability. Of course the defaults would be sane, but then the user could
28 override it globally or locally to each package. This would clean
29 package.mask up and make it purely for misbehaving ebuilds.
30
31 > I'm imaging the default provided by the base profile would be
32 > ACCEPT_UPSTREAM="RELEASE BUG_FIX SECURITY_FIX" so that packages with
33 > UPSTREAM="BETA" (or HEAD, SNAPSHOT, ALPHA, PRE_RELEASE, RELEASE_CANDIDATE,
34 > alia al) would not be installed. (Until you changes your ACCEPT_UPSTREAM
35 > in make.conf or edit /etc/portage/package.upstream)
36
37 Let's take a real life example of the cloudiness of the current situation. If
38 you run ~arch right now and update your system it will pull a new kernel in
39 even if that kernel is a release candidate. The ebuild is clean and installs
40 properly and is not in package.mask, however if you don't want release
41 candidate kernels there isn't an easy way to do it and only allow released
42 version. Under the new system the kernel ebuilds would still be handled the
43 same way (not placed into package.mask), but the user wouldn't get a release
44 candidate kernel unless they say ACCEPT_UPSTREAM=RELEASE_CANDIDATE or set the
45 kernel up that way in package.upstream.
46
47 Another example that sticks out in my head. In the run up to KDE 3.5 I wanted
48 to follow all the ALPHA, BETA and RC releases so I could file bug reports and
49 make the final version better. There wasn't an easy way to do this and the
50 list of packages to unmask was enourmous. Somewhere near beta2 all the
51 ebuils were good, so it could be cleanly merged, but you had to go through
52 the unmask dance. Under the new system once the ebuilds were clean, they
53 would move out of package.mask and any user with the appropriate
54 ACCEPT_UPSTREAM/package.upstream settings could test the new KDE.
55
56 > "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
57 > it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
58 > clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
59 > -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh
60 I can't believe he said that! What he might have meant is that we should
61 provide sane defaults to our users so newcomers don't get hosed systems due
62 to us requiring intimate knowledge of the system. While we shouldn't make
63 unsafe policies at the global level we should allow advanced users to do as
64 they please.
65 --
66 Zac Slade
67 krakrjak@××××××××××.net