From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What happens with masked packages?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 01:03:38
1 On Sunday 26 February 2006 18:15, Bo Andresen <bo.andresen@×××××.com> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] What happens with masked packages?':
3 > On Sunday 26 February 2006 21:40, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
4 > > > How exactly is is you want this to work.
5 > >
6 > > My proposal at this point, would be for an additional restriction on
7 > > packages based on a new UPSTREAM variable in the ebuild itself,
8 > > ACCEPT_UPSTREAM variable in make.conf / the environment, and the
9 > > package.upstream file in /etc/portage.
10 >
11 > I read your previous posts about this as that you wanted it to be easier
12 > to get beta versions but what you want is in fact the exact opposite -
13 > further restriction. Now I get it.
14
15 Well, it would make it easier by moving them /out/ of package.mask and
16 putting them in a classification similar to KEYWORDS. Then, to get all
17 the betas my heart desires I can simply set ACCEPT_UPSTREAM="BETA",
18 instead of manually pawing through package.mask to add them all to
19 package.unmask.
20
21 In particular, I update my system regularly with emerge -avtuND world.
22 This won't give me any notification that betas are available but masked.
23 I'd like to configure my system so that any new betas of kaffeine,
24 kmplayer, ktorrent, and the nsplugins for kaffeine and kmplayer would be
25 installed with having to regularly check on them myself.
26
27 I'm imaging the default provided by the base profile would be
28 ACCEPT_UPSTREAM="RELEASE BUG_FIX SECURITY_FIX" so that packages with
29 UPSTREAM="BETA" (or HEAD, SNAPSHOT, ALPHA, PRE_RELEASE, RELEASE_CANDIDATE,
30 alia al) would not be installed. (Until you changes your ACCEPT_UPSTREAM
31 in make.conf or edit /etc/portage/package.upstream)
32
33 I'd like upstream stability more cleanly separated from ebuild stability.
34 Ciaran did clarify the roles of the various keywords and the global and
35 profile-provided package.masks; from my experience I couldn't see the
36 degree of separation that is intended -- dismissing the few abuses that
37 are still in the portage tree. I still think my system would be better,
38 but I'm biased. :)
41 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
42 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
43 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
44 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh
45 --
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list