From: Ernie Schroder <schroder@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc version used for build?
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 21:22:24
1 On Friday 27 January 2006 13:23, a tiny voice compelled Rafael Fernández López
2 to write:
3 > Phil Sexton wrote:
4 > > Ernie Schroder wrote:
5 > >> On Friday 27 January 2006 10:41, a tiny voice compelled Phil Sexton to
6 > >>
7 > >> write:
8 > >>> Ernie Schroder wrote:
9 > >>>> I used to know this but I can't find info today. How do I tell which
10 > >>>> version of gcc was used to compile my kernel?
11 > >>>
12 > >>> This should do it:
13 > >>> gcc -v
14 > >>
15 > >> Maybe I wasn't clear enough Phil, I suspected that my kernel was built
16 > >> with an old gcc and my nvidia modules with my current version
17 > >> (gcc-3.4.4-r1).
18 > >> Andres' suggestion (cat /proc/version) was what I needed.
19 > >>
20 > >> $ cat /proc/version
21 > >> <snip>
22 > >> (gcc version 3.3.6 (Gentoo 3.3.6, ssp-3.3.6-1.0, pie-8.7.8)) #1 Fri
23 > >> Dec 9 15:39:27 EST 2005
24 > >
25 > > I most likely don't fully understand the difference between the
26 > > two/three commands and I was going by a vague memory from a couple of
27 > > years back.
28 > >
29 > > Could someone expound on these 3 commands? I don't really understand
30 > > the man and info pages on these.
31 > >
32 > > gcc -v
33 > > gcc --version
34 > > (I thought the previous two were the same.)
35 > > cat /proc/version
36 > >
37 > > Does one or more show the currently being used gcc and another show a
38 > > previous version used for some other earlier compile(s)?
39 > >
40 > > TIA
41 >
42 > Well, you can have upgraded GCC and have compiled your RUNNING kernel
43 > with your old gcc version.
44 >
45 > If you run `gcc -v` you only will get your NEW gcc version, but he
46 > wanted to know with which version did he compile his kernel, and is not
47 > with `gcc -v`. You can check it out with `cat /proc/version`.
48 >
49 > Bye,
50 > Rafael Fernández López.
51
52 The bottom line is that I couldn't get the nvidia module to load. I checked my
53 emerge log and I had updated gcc and nvidia-kernel on the same day. What I
54 forgot to take into account is that after udating my compiler, (unless, of
55 course I upgraded with the --emptytree flag, I would still be compiling my
56 nvidia-kernel with the old gcc-3.3.x
57 I have a brand new kernel and have recompiled nvidia-kernel. I can now load
58 the module correctly and use it instead of "nv" Thanks again.
59 --
60 Regards, Ernie
63 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list