From: "Rafael Fernández López" <info@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc version used for build?
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 18:15:16
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Phil Sexton wrote:
5 > Ernie Schroder wrote:
6 >
7 >> On Friday 27 January 2006 10:41, a tiny voice compelled Phil Sexton to
8 >> write:
9 >>
10 >>> Ernie Schroder wrote:
11 >>>
12 >>>> I used to know this but I can't find info today. How do I tell which
13 >>>> version of gcc was used to compile my kernel?
14 >>>
15 >>>
16 >>> This should do it:
17 >>> gcc -v
18 >>>
21 >> Maybe I wasn't clear enough Phil, I suspected that my kernel was built
22 >> with an old gcc and my nvidia modules with my current version
23 >> (gcc-3.4.4-r1).
24 >> Andres' suggestion (cat /proc/version) was what I needed.
25 >>
26 >> $ cat /proc/version
27 >> <snip>
28 >> (gcc version 3.3.6 (Gentoo 3.3.6, ssp-3.3.6-1.0, pie-8.7.8)) #1 Fri
29 >> Dec 9 15:39:27 EST 2005
32 > I most likely don't fully understand the difference between the
33 > two/three commands and I was going by a vague memory from a couple of
34 > years back.
35 >
36 > Could someone expound on these 3 commands? I don't really understand
37 > the man and info pages on these.
38 >
39 > gcc -v
40 > gcc --version
41 > (I thought the previous two were the same.)
42 > cat /proc/version
43 >
44 > Does one or more show the currently being used gcc and another show a
45 > previous version used for some other earlier compile(s)?
46 >
47 > TIA
50 Well, you can have upgraded GCC and have compiled your RUNNING kernel
51 with your old gcc version.
52
53 If you run `gcc -v` you only will get your NEW gcc version, but he
54 wanted to know with which version did he compile his kernel, and is not
55 with `gcc -v`. You can check it out with `cat /proc/version`.
56
57 Bye,
58 Rafael Fernández López.
67 --