From: Shawn Singh <callmeshawn@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] creating local copies of web pages
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 05:31:13
1 I guess I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do, but when I want to
2 get a local copy of a website I do this:
3
4 nohup wget -m http://www.someUrL.org &
5
6 Shawn
7
8 On 12/2/05, Robert Persson <ireneshusband@××××××××.uk> wrote:
9 >
10 > I have been trying all afternoon to make local copies of web pages from a
11 > netscape bookmark file. I have been wrestling with httrack (through
12 > khttrack), pavuk and wget, but none of them work. httrack and pavuk seem
14 > claim they can do the job, but they can't, or at least not in any way an
15 > ordinary mortal could be expected to work out. They do things like
16 > pretending
17 > to download hundreds of files without actually saving them to disk,
18 > crashing
19 > suddenly and frequently, and popping up messages saying that I haven't
20 > contributed enough code to their project to expect the thing to work
21 > properly. I don't want to do anything hideously complicated. I just want
23 > make local copies of some bookmarked pages. What tools should I be using?
24 >
25 > I would be happy to use a windows tool in wine if it worked. I would be
26 > happy
27 > to reboot into Windows if I could get this job done.
28 >
29 > One option would be to feed wget a list of urls. The trouble is I don't
30 > know
31 > how to turn an html bookmark file into a simple list of urls. I imagine I
32 > could do it in sed if I spent enough time to learn sed, but my afternoon
33 > has
34 > gone now and I don't have the time.
35 >
36 > Many thanks
37 > Robert
38 > --
39 > Robert Persson
40 >
41 > "Don't use nuclear weapons to troubleshoot faults."
42 > (US Air Force Instruction 91-111, 1 Oct 1997)
43 >
44 > --
45 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
51 Shawn Singh