From: Robert Persson <ireneshusband@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] creating local copies of web pages
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 01:46:44
1 I have been trying all afternoon to make local copies of web pages from a
2 netscape bookmark file. I have been wrestling with httrack (through
3 khttrack), pavuk and wget, but none of them work. httrack and pavuk seem to
4 claim they can do the job, but they can't, or at least not in any way an
5 ordinary mortal could be expected to work out. They do things like pretending
6 to download hundreds of files without actually saving them to disk, crashing
7 suddenly and frequently, and popping up messages saying that I haven't
8 contributed enough code to their project to expect the thing to work
9 properly. I don't want to do anything hideously complicated. I just want to
10 make local copies of some bookmarked pages. What tools should I be using?
11
12 I would be happy to use a windows tool in wine if it worked. I would be happy
13 to reboot into Windows if I could get this job done.
14
15 One option would be to feed wget a list of urls. The trouble is I don't know
16 how to turn an html bookmark file into a simple list of urls. I imagine I
17 could do it in sed if I spent enough time to learn sed, but my afternoon has
18 gone now and I don't have the time.
19
20 Many thanks
21 Robert
22 --
23 Robert Persson
24
25 "Don't use nuclear weapons to troubleshoot faults."
26 (US Air Force Instruction 91-111, 1 Oct 1997)
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list