From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc fails and then succeeds - definitely a problem?
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 21:03:08
1 >> > Parallel builds are not deterministic so if the Makefile allows a race
2 >> > condition to develop it's pot luck whether you'll be hit with it or
3 >> > not
4 >>
5 >> I got sick of stuff like that so I run MAKEOPTS="-j1" on all of my
6 >> systems.
7 >
8 > If it were a frequent occurrence, there may be some benefit in that. But
9 > using only one of the CPUs 8 cores is such a waste when this sort of
10 > thing happens only every few weeks. Usually trying again works, rarely
11 > does using -j1 make a difference and when it does a bug report ensures
12 > that it won't be an issue in future.
13
14 OK you've inspired me to give it another try. So if I find a package
15 that doesn't build with -jn where n > 1 but does build with -j1 I
16 should file a bug?
17
18 - Grant