From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc fails and then succeeds - definitely a problem?
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:41:04
1 On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:47:03 -0800, Grant wrote:
2
3 > > Parallel builds are not deterministic so if the Makefile allows a race
4 > > condition to develop it's pot luck whether you'll be hit with it or
5 > > not
6 >
7 > I got sick of stuff like that so I run MAKEOPTS="-j1" on all of my
8 > systems.
9
10 If it were a frequent occurrence, there may be some benefit in that. But
11 using only one of the CPUs 8 cores is such a waste when this sort of
12 thing happens only every few weeks. Usually trying again works, rarely
13 does using -j1 make a difference and when it does a bug report ensures
14 that it won't be an issue in future.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 PROSTITUTE: Receiver of swollen goods.