From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc fails and then succeeds - definitely a problem?
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:51:35
1 >> The gcc update just failed to compile on one of my systems with a
2 >> segfault, but then succeeded after trying again even though I didn't
3 >> change anything.  Does that indicate a hardware problem for sure?
4 >> Should I run memtester?  Any other tests to run?  Nothing in dmesg.
5 >>
6 >> - Grant
9 > Nah, most likely it's a -j<something bigger than 1> issue
10 >
11 > Parallel builds are not deterministic so if the Makefile allows a race
12 > condition to develop it's pot luck whether you'll be hit with it or not
13
14 I got sick of stuff like that so I run MAKEOPTS="-j1" on all of my systems.
15
16 - Grant