From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage performance dropped considerably
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 14:04:58
1 On Jan 28, 2014 5:57 AM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 22:54:28 +0100, hasufell wrote:
4 >
5 > > >> If it's about performance (in the sense of speed), then paludis
6 > > >> is worse, because dependency calculation is more complex/complete
7 > > >> there.
8 > > >
9 > > > That makes no sense at all. Paludis is written in a different
10 > > > language using different algorithms. It's not about the amount of
11 > > > work it does so much as how efficiently it does it.
12 >
13 > > That's exactly what I was saying. I was talking about speed, not
14 > > efficiency.
15 >
16 > But the efficiency of the algorithm, and the language, affects the speed.
17 > You can't presume "it does more, therefore it takes longer" if the two
18 > programs do things in very different ways.
21 I was thinking: is it feasible, to "precalculate" the dependency tree? Or,
22 at least "preprocess" all the sane (and insane) dependencies to help
23 portage?
24
25 Rgds,