From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage performance dropped considerably
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 22:57:24
1 On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 22:54:28 +0100, hasufell wrote:
2
3 > >> If it's about performance (in the sense of speed), then paludis
4 > >> is worse, because dependency calculation is more complex/complete
5 > >> there.
6 > >
7 > > That makes no sense at all. Paludis is written in a different
8 > > language using different algorithms. It's not about the amount of
9 > > work it does so much as how efficiently it does it.
10
11 > That's exactly what I was saying. I was talking about speed, not
12 > efficiency.
13
14 But the efficiency of the algorithm, and the language, affects the speed.
15 You can't presume "it does more, therefore it takes longer" if the two
16 programs do things in very different ways.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 Law of Mechanical Repair: After your hands become coated with
23 grease, your nose will begin to itch.