From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge ---p --depclean - check me...
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 14:20:19
1 On 10/04/2014 15:26, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 4/10/2014 7:21 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Everything else in that list is routine except maybe pciutils and gpm.
4 >> Add them to world manually if you use those apps
5 >
6 > Thanks Alan/Tom...
7 >
8 > Hmmm... what is pciutils used for? From a little googling, it seems like
9 > it is a tool that I would manually have to use, not something required
10 > by the system itself for anything that happens automatically (ie, at
11 > boot time)?
12
13 pciutils provides lspci, I'm sure you've used that one lots :-)
14
15 I'm assuming it was in the @system set since forever and has now been
16 taken out - it's hugely useful but not 100% required to get a working
17 Gentoo install so therefore doesn't really belong in @system
18
19 I myself have a personal @tools set that I've used since forever and
20 pciutils is in it so I always have lspci on every gentoo box. Hence why
21 I have to assume what took place recently in the tree
24 > If so, I've never used it that I can recall, so I guess I can let
25 > depclean remove it?
26 >
27 > As for gpm... this is the 'general purpose mouse server'? If so, guess I
28 > don't need this either, since this is a VM without a gui?
29
30 gpm lets you use your mouse in the console just like you use it in X.
31 The "pointer" isn't an arrow, it's a flashing block cursor but you can
32 highlight, copy and paste text just like in X. Useful if you've gotten
33 to like it, completely redundant if you never used it and get along fine
34 without it
39 > Thanks again,
40 >
41 > charles