From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 16:31:04
1 meino.cramer@×××.de writes:
2
3 > Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> [12-02-18 16:52]:
4
5 > > I want to play Quake3. games-fps/quake3 works, but somehow extra stuff
6 > > (maps, models) I downloaded and put into /opt/quake3/baseq3 is not
7 > > being used. I think I had such problems before, so I used to run
8 > > games-fps/quake3-bin instead. I have no sound.
9 > >
10 > > There are error messages:
11 > >
12 > > /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
13 > > Could not open /dev/dsp
14 > >
15 > > This is true, even as root I cannot echo something to this device.
16 > > lsof and fuser return nothing, so I wonder what is using the device.
17 > >
18 > > I had sound problems with Quake3 in the past, and found a wrapper
19 > > script quake3-sdl-sound [*], that worked. But now it doesn't.
20 > >
21 > > Any ideas? There will be a big match going on with my little sister
22 > > this evening, so you see this is a really really important issue!
23
24 I just found a workaround: It seems games-fps/quake3 looks for stuff
25 in /usr/share/games/quake3 only. I made this a symlink to /opt/quake3,
26 and now all the custom maps and models are found. But still I would like
27 t know how to make such applications work again.
28
29 > Hi Alex,
30 >
31 > try (as root)
32 >
33 > fuser /dev/dsp
34 >
35 > to figure out, which task helds that device...
36
37 I get no output at all.
38
39 Wonko