From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] grub passwords - how do I limit OS selection?
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 14:18:30
1 Hi,
2 I would like to limit OS selection at boot time. The machine has
3 Gentoo and Windows. Gentoo *must* be the booted OS unless a password
4 is entered. I have tried the password feature in grub but it does not
5 implement this feature. It implements changing boot time kernel
6 options, but not OS choice as far as I can tell.
7
8 I also tried adding the hiddenmenu option in grub but it seems that
9 with hiddenmenu turned on grub never accepts a password.
10
11 Is there a way to implement what I need? If you can provide an
12 example that would be great.
13
14 NOTE: I currently do this be editing the grub file itself but I'm
15 looking for something more sophisticated since I'd like my wife to be
16 able to boot Windows but not my son.
17
18 Thanks all,
19 Mark