From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 4.9.0 + nvidia problem
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 19:22:50
1 Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> writes:
2
3 > I successfully configured, compiled & installed Kernel 4.9.0 (testing)
4 > & compiled Nvidia 375.26 (testing) to match ;
5 > there was a problem trying to use 4.9.0 with 361.28 (below).
6 > After reboot, X started, but with a primitive display (overlarge chars etc).
7 > I tried it with KDE 5 & with Fluxbox, but no difference :
8 > KDE couldn't start Plasma, but showed a few apps.
9 > There was a warning msg re Opengl, but nothing helpful.
10 >
11 > Previously & now again, everything is ok with Kernel 4.2.0-r1 + Nvidia 361.28.
12 >
13 > There are many kernel versions available & many Nvidia versions ;
14 > there are also many USE flags & many kernel options.
15 > Before I try permutating them all (smile), has anyone else had trouble here ?
16
17 4.4.6 and 375.26 seem to work fine here.
20 * Found these USE flags for x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-375.26:
21 U I
22 + + X : Install the X.org driver, OpenGL libraries, XvMC libraries, and VDPAU libraries
23 - - acpi : Add support for Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
24 - - compat : Install non-GLVND libGL for backwards compatibility
25 + + driver : Install the kernel driver module
26 + + gtk3 : Install nvidia-settings with support for GTK+ 3
27 + + kms : Enable support for kernel mode setting (KMS)
28 - - pax_kernel : PaX patches from the PaX project
29 - - static-libs : Build static versions of dynamic libraries as well
30 + + tools : Install additional tools such as nvidia-settings
31 - - uvm : Install the Unified Memory kernel module (nvidia-uvm) for sharing memory between CPU and GPU in CUDA programs
32 - - wayland : Enable dev-libs/wayland backend
35 For kernel options, I followed the wiki.