From: Tamer Higazi <th982a@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which machine to buy for perfect gentoo machine?!
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 08:35:50
1 Hi João!
2
3 Seems to be that the bulldozer and FX architecture is from GCC 4.6.3 up
4 fully supported.
5
6 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Safe_Cflags/AMD#FX-8xxx.2F6xxx.2F4xxx_.28Bulldozer.29
10 Tamer
11
12 Am 15.04.2013 16:47, schrieb João Matos:
13 > Great discussion.
14 >
15 > I'm in a similar situation. I'm using a core2duo for about 5 years, and
16 > I think it is time to upgrade it.
17 >
18 > But, after reading this, there are still to doubts:
19 >
20 > 1) r the amd processors really fully supported? When I compile my kernel
21 > (amd64), for instance, while looking for "Processor Type" there are 3
22 > options for Intel and just one for AMD. Wouldn't it be kinda generic?
23 >
24 > 2) durability: I'm kinda traumatized with AMD. Maybe I didn't have luck,
25 > or Brazil is just too hot, but before I change to Intel, I had to buy a
26 > computer a year: mobo problem, socket changed, then replace everything.
27 > I'm very exited with the AMD advantages discussed here, but If it is to
28 > last a year, I'm out.
29 >
30 > Back then, when I used amd, I liked the performace and the price very
31 > much. I found out about and came to
32 > Gentoo just when I was looking for a optimized distro to my brand new
33 > athlon64 processor - that lasted a year.
34 >
35 > Thank you,
36 > --
37 > João de Matos
38 > Linux User #461527
39 > Graduado em Engenharia de Computação
40 > UEFS - Universidade Estadual de Feira de Santana