From: Matthew Marlowe <matt@××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which machine to buy for perfect gentoo machine?!
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 10:10:00
1 General thoughts when building a home gentoo workstation that you want
2 to last a _long_ time:
3 - Quality, durability, and flexibility of the motherboard, power
4 supply, and chassis are the most important items to focus on. You
5 want a motherboard that is capable of lasting for 10yrs w/o problem,
6 so high quality electronics. I've gone with Asus Workstation, Tyan,
7 and Gigabyte motherboards in the past. You also want to pay careful
8 attention to heating/cooling and power efficiency.
9 - Once you have the motherboard/chassis worked out, then decide on the
10 cpu. Generally, get the best that you can afford and think about what
11 your needs are....are you doing lots of graphics, floating point work,
12 or just want a box that compiles fast, or is power efficiency your
13 thing? Note that getting the intel extreme cpus is much more
14 expensive, but these are likely to be around longer if you ever need
15 to replace a failed cpu w/o making any changes to the
16 motherboard...and at least awhile back, the intel extreme cpus allowed
17 some overclocking/power management functionality that wasn't yet
18 released on the mainstream cpus. I had a core duo fail a year
19 ago...(yes, core not core2) -- intel was no longer manufacturing any
20 of the cpus compatible with the motherboard, but the original extreme
21 rated cpus were still available for purchase on Amazon at a trivial
22 price point.