From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sys-fs/-MERGING-static-dev installed but unable to find it
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 11:24:49
1 Marc Joliet wrote:
2 > On Sunday 13 September 2015 22:46:01 Dale wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> I ran eix-test-obsolete and in the output, I get the following:
8 >> The following installed packages are not in the database:
9 >>
10 >> sys-fs/-MERGING-static-dev
11 > [...]
12 >
13 > Just for the record, but I think emaint (part of portage) should be capable of
14 > fixing this automatically (specifically, it's "merges" command). It can do a
15 > couple more things, so check it out anyway. (Also, per the news item "New
16 > portage plug-in sync system" from 2015-02-02, "emaint sync" is going to become
17 > the preferred way of syncing the portage tree and overlays.)
18 >
19 > HTH
22 Based on what I read on one of the links someone else provided, that
23 could be what failed. From what I get about how this works. Portage
24 compiles the stuff and then puts it in that directory to be merged onto
25 the main file system. Once that is done, it should delete that
26 directory but for some reason, it doesn't on rare occasions. When it
27 gets left, eix-test-obsolete catches it and then confuses the user.
28
29 If it were more consistent, I'd think a bug report would be in order but
30 since we can't reproduce this thing on a regular basis, I think it would
31 be pointless.
32
33 Dale
34