From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting maximum space out of a hard drive
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 14:42:59
1 Am Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 12:49:56AM -0500 schrieb Dale:
2
3 > > I run a raspi with some basic services, most importantly a pihole DNS filter
4 > > and a PIM server. But I find it hacky-patchy with its flimsy USB power cable
5 > > poking out of the side. I’d prefer a more sturdy construction, which is why
6 > > I bought a NAS-style PC (zotac zbox nano with a passive 6 W Celeron). But
7 > > that thing is so fast for every-day computing that I actually put a KDE
8 > > system on it and now I don’t want to “downgrade” it to a mere server.
9 >
10 > I googled that little guy and that is a pretty neat little machine.
11 > Basically it is a tiny puter but really tiny, just not tiny on
12 > features.  The Zotac systems, even some older ones, are pretty nifty.  I
13 > think I read they have a ITX mobo which is really compact.
14
15 ITX (or rather miniITX) is 17×17 cm: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-ITX
16 Those NUC-types are much smaller. I don’t quite know whether that board form
17 factor has a name of its own (aside from NUC, but that’s a marketing name
18 from Intel).
19
20 > It sort of reminds me of a cell phone.  Small but fast CPUs, some even
21 > have decent amounts of ram so they can handle quite a lot.  Never heard of
22 > this thing before.  I wouldn't mind having one of those to work as my
23 > OpenVPN server thingy.  I'd just need to find one that has 2 ethernet
24 > ports and designed for that sort of task.
25
26 Many of the ZBoxes have dual NICs, which is what makes them very popular
27 among server and firewall hackers because they are also very frugal. My
28 particular model is the CI331:
29 https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/zbox-ci331-nano-barebone
30 It has one 2,5″ slot and one undocumented SATA M.2 which can only be reached
31 by breaking the warranty seal. That’s where zotac installs a drive if you
32 buy a zbox with Winblows pre-installed.
33
34 After updating the BIOS, which allowed the CPU to enter lower C states, it
35 draws 6 W on idle. It’s not a record, but still not so much for a 24/7 x86
36 system.
37
38 > >> I have a old computer that I might could use.  It is 4 core something
39 > >> and I think it has 4GBs of memory, maxed out.  I think it will perform
40 > >> well enough but wish it had a little more horses in it.
41 > > An Intel Celeron from the Haswell generation (i.e. 8+ years old) did not
42 > > have AES-NI yet, and it reached around 160 MB/s encryption speed. I tried
43 > > it, because I had dealings with those processors in the past before I built
44 > > my own NAS. Your old tech may still be usable, but please also consider
45 > > power cost and its impact on the environment if it runs 24/7.
46 >
47 > I'm not real sure what that old machine has.  I have Linux, can't recall
48 > the distro tho, on it.  Is there a way to find out if it supports the
49 > needed things?
50
51 cat /proc/cpuinfo and look for aes or the like. Or enter the processor name
52 into wikipedia, which will redirect you to the “List of processors by
53 <Manufacturer>” with huge tables of comparision and general info on an
54 architecture’s improvements over its predecessor, like AES.
55
56 > >> I may use actual NAS software too.
57 > > What is “actual NAS software”? Do you mean a NAS distribution? From my
58 > > understanding, those distros install the usual services (samba, ftp, etc.)
59 > > and develop a nice web frontend for it. But since those are web
60 > > applications, there isn’t much to be gained from march=native.
61 >
62 > I've seen TrueNAS, OpenNas I think and others.  Plus some just use
63 > Ubuntu or something.  Honestly, almost any linux distro with no or a
64 > minimal GUI would work.
65
66 OK, but then you don’t run those on Gentoo. And those NAS distros are so
67 small and light-weight, they can be run from a USB stick if you so choose.
68 My NAS’s mainboard has a USB-A socket on-board for that reason.
69
70 > >>   I'm sure Gentoo would work to with proper tweaking but then I need to
71 > >> deal with compiling things.  Of course, no libreoffice or anything big so
72 > >> it may not be to bad.  Thing is, the NAS software will likely be more
73 > >> efficient since it is designed for the purpose.
74 > > More efficient than what?
75
76 > I figure something like OpenNAS or TrueNAS would work better as it is
77 > built to be user friendly and has tools by default to manage things.
78
79 Yeah, I was thinking of using one of those, too. But I liked the idea of
80 being more flexible with some ZFS voodoo which the web interfaces won’t
81 allow. Like creating a downgraded pool because I don’t have enough HDDs, filling
82 that up and adding the missing disk later. Sometimes I wish for the bigger
83 ease of use of a web interface.
84
85 > I'm pretty sure they support RAID and such by default.  It is likely set
86 > up to make setting it up easier too.
87
88 They do, naturally. And yes, the frontends hide lots of the gory details.
91 Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
92 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
93
94 Even baldies do have streaks of luck.