From: Marcus Wanner <marcusw@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] equery versus q-tools
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 18:24:13
1 On 11/20/2009 11:56 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > On 20 Nov, Marcus Wanner wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 11/20/2009 4:00 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Hi,
7 >>>
8 >>> there are two utilities on (my) Gentoo system and I wonder
9 >>> when to prefer which one.
10 >>>
11 >>> On one hand there is 'equery' with many commands.
12 >>> On the other hand there the 'q-tools' i.e. a lot of
13 >>> symlinks to /usr/bin/q
14 >>> like
15 >>> qfile
16 >>> qdepends
17 >>> quse
18 >>> and so on.
19 >>>
20 >>> Often they offer similar tasks.
21 >>> I wonder when to use which one.
22 >>> Which is faster, more reliable, ...
23 >>>
24 >>> Many thanks for sharing your experience,
25 >>> Helmut.
26 >>>
27 >>>
28 >> I would personally prefer equery, as it is in gentoolkit, an official
29 >> gentoo project, and because is more standard. To tell the truth, though,
30 >> I have never even heard of q-tools...
34 > No wonder, it's just my personal nickname for it.
35 > The official name is
36 > app-portage/portage-util
37 >
38 > Helmut.
41 Ah. Then I can't really give you any recommendation besides the fact
42 that gentoolkit seems to be what most people use, and there is certainly
43 something to be said for using the most popular programs since there
44 will be faster support and bugfixes. Or course, that is a valid decision
45 criteria only when there is no other reason to choose a specific option
46 (there would be no such thing as the linux or even gentoo user base
47 otherwise).
48
49 Marcus