From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtualbox - serial port
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:36:33
1 On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 09/18/12 15:12, Alex Schuster wrote:
3 >>
4 >> J. Roeleveld writes:
5 >>
6 >>> Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
9 >>>> ls -l /dev/ttyS0 crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 64 Sep 17 20:56
10 >>>> /dev/ttyS0
11 >>>>
12 >>>> Is the above correct permission?
15 >>> Those are default permissions. However those normally won't give a
16 >>> normal user access. You can change the permissions of that
17 >>> file/device to enable your user to have access.
18 >>>
19 >>> I am typing this on my mobile and can't quickly tell you how to do
20 >>> that on a permanent basis. But for a quick change you can use 'chown'
21 >>> to change the owner to your own user.
24 >> What about 'gpasswd -a <user> tty' to add the tty group to the user?
25 >> Needs a re-login to make use of the changes.
26 >>
27 >> Wonko
30 > Yes, I'm tty group:
31 > tty lp wheel mail cron audio cdrom postgres cdrw usb users scanner vboxusers
32 >
33 > in addition I have try to change the permission to:
34 > chmod 0666 /dev/ttyS0
35 >
36 > but it makes no difference, when starting virtualbox xp I'm still getting
37 > the error:
38 > NamedPipe#0 failed to connect to local socket /dev/ttyS0
39 > (VERR_NET_CONNECTION_REFUSED).
40
41 Sounds like policykit, then. Someone with policykit experience might
42 be able to tell us how to ask the system which privileges are required
43 to access that file, and then how to ask the system to give those
44 privileges to a given user.
45
46 (Not knowing much about policykit, but knowing some of what it's
47 capable of, this would be something I'd like to hear.)
48 --
49 :wq