From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtualbox - serial port
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:28:29
1 On 09/18/12 15:12, Alex Schuster wrote:
2 >J. Roeleveld writes:
3 >
4 >> Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 >>> ls -l /dev/ttyS0 crw-rw---- 1 root tty 4, 64 Sep 17 20:56
7 >>> /dev/ttyS0
8 >>>
9 >>> Is the above correct permission?
10 >
11 >> Those are default permissions. However those normally won't give a
12 >> normal user access. You can change the permissions of that
13 >> file/device to enable your user to have access.
14 >>
15 >> I am typing this on my mobile and can't quickly tell you how to do
16 >> that on a permanent basis. But for a quick change you can use 'chown'
17 >> to change the owner to your own user.
18 >
19 >What about 'gpasswd -a <user> tty' to add the tty group to the user?
20 >Needs a re-login to make use of the changes.
21 >
22 > Wonko
23
24 Yes, I'm tty group:
25 tty lp wheel mail cron audio cdrom postgres cdrw usb users scanner vboxusers
26
27 in addition I have try to change the permission to:
28 chmod 0666 /dev/ttyS0
29
30 but it makes no difference, when starting virtualbox xp I'm still getting the error:
31 NamedPipe#0 failed to connect to local socket /dev/ttyS0 (VERR_NET_CONNECTION_REFUSED).
34 Joseph