From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev 208 to 212 update, 2 questions...
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 20:08:33
1 On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 2:34 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > Question 1:
4 > What if I am not using an empty (or single comment)
5 > /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules?
6 >
7 > Does this mean I can ignore everything that follows (the comment really
8 > should open with that if so)?
9
10 Yes
13 > Question 2: What is up with the last section talking about the net setup
14 > rules only with respect to systemd?
15 >
16 > OpenRC is currently still the default init system for gentoo if I'm not
17 > mistaken, so why does this comment only reference systemd, totally ignoring
18 > OpenRC users?
19
20 Nothing in this news item has anything to do with anybody who is using
21 the sys-apps/systemd package (at least, they're not impacted by this
22 particular upgrade).
23
24 sys-fs/udev installs its default network configuration rules in the
25 path /lib/systemd/network/, and if you want to override them you do
26 this in /etc/systemd/network.
27
28 If you do have sys-apps/systemd installed then you can override the
29 rules in the same place, but the news item is about an upgrade to
30 sys-fs/udev.
31
32 If you missed the news, systemd took over udev ages ago, and has been
33 renaming paths/binaries/etc. It still does the same things it did
34 before the takeover. You will just see more references to systemd in
35 path names.
36
37 With just udev the only thing the network scripts do is control
38 interface naming (I think). If you do migrate to systemd the more
39 recent versions include systemd-networkd which can also configure the
40 network. I've found that this works fairly well so far. It seems to
41 be keeping my dhcp lease alive, which is more than I can say about
42 dhcpcd after the last dracut upgrade (the box would drop off the
43 network every 24h, and then lock up being that root was via nfs).
44
45 Rich