From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problems getting systemd to work
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 06:48:24
1 On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 1:18 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 5:26 PM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > [snip]
4 >>
5 >> Well, the workaround sort of worked -- it went through the initrd -- I
6 >> had debug in the kernel command line, but it did not stop for nothing!
7 >> When it went to the real root, however it did not activate any of the
8 >> lvm volumes I had except for what I specified in the kernel command
9 >> line, causing things not to work well. Also, I noticed that if insisted
10 >> on using the predictable network names, even though I have
11 >> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and
12 >> /etc/udev/rules.d/80-name-slot.rules which work fine in openrc to give
13 >> me back my eth* names. So all in all, it was a mess and took me to an
14 >> emergency shell and that was the end of that. I did eventually activate
15 >> some volumes by lvchange -aay, but obviously that would not work well.
16 >
17 > OK, I was a little mystified about why dracut-036 worked on my system
18 > and 037 didn't. Before I tried any workaround, I wanted to know what
19 > changed from the previous version to the current one.
20 >
21 > So I generated an initramfs with dracut-036-r4 and another one with
22 > dracut-037-r1, and I tried to see what changed from one to the other.
23 > The answer is surprisingly easy: in /etc/cmdline.d/, the following
24 > files where in the 036-r4 version, but not in the 037-r4:
25 >
26 > 90crypt.conf
27 > 90lvm.conf
28 > 90mdraid.conf
29 > base.conf
30 >
31 > Te contents of those files are (90crypt.conf is empty):
32 >
33 > 90lvm.conf
34 > rd.lvm.lv=vg/vol1
35 > rd.lvm.lv=vg/vol4
36 > rd.lvm.lv=vg/vol3
37 >
38 > 90mdraid.conf
39 > rd.md.uuid=f4a59e68:fbe4039f:a39fc86d:e9e91e12
40 >
41 > base.conf
42 > ro
43 >
44 > So I just changed my /etc/default/grub file:
45 >
46 > GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd quiet nosplash
47 > rd.lvm.lv=vg/vol1 rd.lvm.lv=vg/vol4 rd.lvm.lv=vg/vol3
48 > rd.md.uuid=f4a59e68:fbe4039f:a39fc86d:e9e91e12"
49 >
50 > I regenerated my GRUB2 config, and now again my LVM test system works
51 > perfectly with the latest dracut version.
52
53 I'm an idiot; I didn't saw the documentation about hostonly_cmdline;
54 BTW Jc, you used host_cmdline, I think the former is the correct one.
55
56 So, to resume: there is no bug, is just that before hostonly_cmdline
57 was yes by default, and now is no by default. This change was
58 documented, but I failed to notice it (and I think the ebuild in
59 Gentoo should print an einfo message).
60
61 Anyway, I think that explains all my problems; John, I don't know if
62 it will solve yours. Again: did you used "dracut --print-cmdline" to
63 get the command line? Also, have you tried to use -H to generate your
64 initramfs? And finally, have you tried with --hostonly-cmdline?
65
66 Regards.
67 --
68 Canek Peláez Valdés
69 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias