From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub menu and the new openrc
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 01:49:35
1 Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2 > On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 20:12, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
3 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
4 >
5 > Daniel da Veiga wrote:
6 >
7 > I have a similar entry, but have never used the softlevel=
8 > flag, I simply append "single" at the end of the kernel call
9 > and it boots in single user (root password or ctrl+d to continue).
12 > I did get this to work:
13 >
14 > title Gentoo single user
15 > kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage-2.6.38-r5-1 root=/dev/sda3 rw single
16 >
17 > So, all I need now is to figure out how to get this work:
20 > title Gentoo boot level
21 > kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage-2.6.38-r5-1 root=/dev/sda3 softlevel=boot
22 >
23 > It appears the softlevel= is no longer working with the new
24 > openrc. It looks like the docs need to be updated. I also tried
25 > init= and it doesn't work either.
26 >
27 > Time to go farther up the food chain I guess. The docs need to be
28 > changed at least.
31 > Updated docs are always good, but I wonder why do you need this.
32 > If I need single user I simply press "e", edit the line and add
33 > single, followed by a "b" to boot. That is a for maintenance only so I
34 > really don't see a need for it at grub menu, same wth the other
35 > runlevels, all you gotta do is append "nox" or use Interactive (again,
36 > this is only if something is broken, I can't see myself doing this
37 > twice in a week)...
38 >
39 > --
40 > Daniel da Veiga
41
42 The thing is, I do use them which is why I went to the trouble of
43 setting them up to begin with. I actually use them pretty regular.
44 Just because others don't use them doesn't mean that I don't or shouldn't.
45
46 I tried to use them is how I figured out it didn't work anymore. That
47 alone shows that I use them for various reasons. This update is less
48 than a week old and I already found out that this doesn't work anymore.
49 I just want to figure out how it works with openrc which it appears no
50 one has a answer and the docs are wrong as well.
51
52 Thanks.
53
54 Dale