From: Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha@×××.de>
To: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha@×××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] revdep-rebuild problem
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 23:02:51
1 On 2012-08-19 at 01:02:24 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2
3 > Am Sonntag, 19. August 2012, 00:37:36 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:
4 > > Hi,
5 > > I'm using Gentoo for a couple of years and am quite amazed how good it
6 > > works. So thanks to all involved in its develpoment.
7 > >
8 > > However, after today's update, when I run revdep-rebuild, I get the
9 > > message
10 > >
11 > > * Checking dynamic linking consistency
12 > > * broken /usr/lib64/libogrove.la (requires -lstdc++)
13 > > * broken /usr/lib64/libospgrove.la (requires -lstdc++)
14 > > * broken /usr/lib64/libostyle.la (requires -lstdc++)
15 >
16 > so, find out which package these three belong to - and remove them.
17
18 Ok, will do.
19
20 > > emerge --update --pretend
21 >
22 > why pretend?
23
24 Because whenever I see that there is an Xorg update, I nowadays make a
25 full backup before I do the actual update.
26
27 > > On the other hand it happpened several times that *after* an update
28 > > I've been told that my system is completely broken and will not
29 > > re-boot unless I compile a new kernel.
30 >
31 > really? never saw that. Only with xorg-drivers after a xorg-server
32 > update.
33
34 Presumably because you already were using a newer kernel. It was the
35 kernel version number what mattered, not the configuration.
36
37 > > It would be nice if I can be warned *before* I run emerge without
38 > > the --pretend option. Then I could postpone the update to the
39 > > next weekend, when I have more time.
40 >
41 > so you want portage to read every single ebuild, making the
42 > operation A LOT longer? I am sorry but I am not willing to waste so
43 > much time.
44
45 Maybe a news item would be sufficient.
46
47 > > My propsal is to add a warning similar to that I get when portage
48 > > updates are available, so that users know in advance that a
49 > > particular update will break the system.
50 >
51 > please enlighten me which update breaks a system. Can't remember
52 > one. Hm, back with libss&co maybe?
53
54 Last time it happened after an udev update. After the update I've
55 been told that my kernel was too old. If I have to build a new kernel
56 the next day, I can only hope that there is no power failure
57 meanwhile and would rather postpone the update.
58
59 Regards,
60 Reinhard
64 Reinhard Kotucha Phone: +49-511-3373112
65 Marschnerstr. 25
66 D-30167 Hannover mailto:reinhard.kotucha@×××.de
68 Microsoft isn't the answer. Microsoft is the question, and the answer is NO.