From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: reinhard.kotucha@×××.de
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] revdep-rebuild problem
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 13:30:32
1 Am Montag, 20. August 2012, 01:00:34 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:
2 > On 2012-08-19 at 01:02:24 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > Am Sonntag, 19. August 2012, 00:37:36 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:
4 > > > Hi,
5 > > > I'm using Gentoo for a couple of years and am quite amazed how good it
6 > > > works. So thanks to all involved in its develpoment.
7 > > >
8 > > > However, after today's update, when I run revdep-rebuild, I get the
9 > > > message
10 > > >
11 > > > * Checking dynamic linking consistency
12 > > > * broken /usr/lib64/libogrove.la (requires -lstdc++)
13 > > > * broken /usr/lib64/libospgrove.la (requires -lstdc++)
14 > > > * broken /usr/lib64/libostyle.la (requires -lstdc++)
15 > >
16 > > so, find out which package these three belong to - and remove them.
17 >
18 > Ok, will do.
19 >
20 > > > emerge --update --pretend
21 > >
22 > > why pretend?
23 >
24 > Because whenever I see that there is an Xorg update, I nowadays make a
25 > full backup before I do the actual update.
28 that is what --ask is made for ;)
29
30 > > > On the other hand it happpened several times that *after* an update
31 > > > I've been told that my system is completely broken and will not
32 > > > re-boot unless I compile a new kernel.
33 > >
34 > > really? never saw that. Only with xorg-drivers after a xorg-server
35 > > update.
36 >
37 > Presumably because you already were using a newer kernel. It was the
38 > kernel version number what mattered, not the configuration.
39
40 I have been sticking around with 3.0 for a long time.
43 > > > It would be nice if I can be warned *before* I run emerge without
44 > > > the --pretend option. Then I could postpone the update to the
45 > > > next weekend, when I have more time.
46 > >
47 > > so you want portage to read every single ebuild, making the
48 > > operation A LOT longer? I am sorry but I am not willing to waste so
49 > > much time.
50 >
51 > Maybe a news item would be sufficient.
52 >
53 > > > My propsal is to add a warning similar to that I get when portage
54 > > > updates are available, so that users know in advance that a
55 > > > particular update will break the system.
56 > >
57 > > please enlighten me which update breaks a system. Can't remember
58 > > one. Hm, back with libss&co maybe?
59 >
60 > Last time it happened after an udev update. After the update I've
61 > been told that my kernel was too old. If I have to build a new kernel
62 > the next day, I can only hope that there is no power failure
63 > meanwhile and would rather postpone the update.
64
65 okay, there is a reason I masked udev updates a long time ago ;)
68 #163933