From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: More emerge auto-bloat
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 14:42:55
1 On 2020-08-10, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > [ usual whining ]
4
5 > Forty-nine new packages?!
6 >
7 > Much of it appears to be texlive, which is now apparently required by
8 > the 'atril' pdf viewer. Why does it suddenly require texlive?
9 > There's a 'dvi' use flag which understandably would require tex stuff,
10 > but that flag is not set.
11
12 That's the result of a questionable decision by Atril maintainers.
13 It's since been fixed, and the 'synctex' feature which was pulling in
14 all of texlive is now optional. That fix has been committed, but not
15 yet released. Meanwhile, I've found and tested a patch that obviates
16 the need for installing texlive by making atril's synctex support
17 optional.
18
19 I've kludged an ebuild to remove the unconditional tex dependency and
20 disable the synctex feature. That semms to work fine.
21
22 I'd be happy to submit the patch and ebuild. I presume I should
23 change the ebuild to make the synctex feature enable/disable
24 conditional on a USE flag? It looks like there's already a 'synctex'
25 USE flag, so I guess that should be easy enough.
28 Grant