From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [WAY OT] wanna learn networking internals
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2015 19:18:32
1 2015-09-02 18:14 GMT-03:00 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
2
3 > On 02/09/2015 22:57, James wrote:
4 > > Last, I suggest a parallel learning of C/C++ as it really helps with
5 > > unix/linux/networking if can look at software sources and see what is
6 > going
7 > > on.
8 >
9 > ^this^, after the basics are fully mastered.
10 >
11 > netmasks make no sense at all until bitwise operators are fully
12 > understood. Even CIDR notation is not really obvious until you
13 > understand what languages like C do with the 32 bit words we call IP
14 > addresses. All x10 when IPv6 comes into play
17 > --
18 > Alan McKinnon
19 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
23 Hi again, Alan.
24
25 Those basics are already well understood, and for now IPv6 is not even
26 being considered ;-) Let me get the second level first.
27
28 Thanks.