From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [WAY OT] wanna learn networking internals
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 21:15:18
1 On 02/09/2015 22:57, James wrote:
2 > Last, I suggest a parallel learning of C/C++ as it really helps with
3 > unix/linux/networking if can look at software sources and see what is going
4 > on.
5
6 ^this^, after the basics are fully mastered.
7
8 netmasks make no sense at all until bitwise operators are fully
9 understood. Even CIDR notation is not really obvious until you
10 understand what languages like C do with the 32 bit words we call IP
11 addresses. All x10 when IPv6 comes into play
15 Alan McKinnon
16 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com