From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Server system date synchronizaion
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 15:42:27
1 On 26/04/2013 17:27, Nick Khamis wrote:
2 > Hello Everyone,
3 >
4 > Thank you for the many solutions however, I am totally lost as to which would
5 > be most reliable in a collocation setting vs. office desktop. What we would like
6 > is to set up our own ntp server which other servers and desktops in our office
7 > syncs to. Is this advised? If so, is there a nice tutorial online?
8
9 The subject of time is vastly more complex than anyone ever thinks at
10 first look. Time servers are tiered and are themselves both clients and
11 servers...
12
13 So here's what you do: sync everything to your ISP's time servers.
14 Chances are good they do a better job than you can, just like with DNS
15 caching.
16
17 When you know more about the subject than you do now, you can venture
18 into rolling your own. I'm not being rude or funny - time servers are
19 just one of those things that unless you have special needs and LOTS of
20 cash, it is so much easier to just let someone else do all the heavy
21 lifting.
25 Alan McKinnon
26 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com