From: Nick Khamis <symack@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Server system date synchronizaion
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 15:54:39
1 On 4/26/13, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 26/04/2013 17:27, Nick Khamis wrote:
3 >> Hello Everyone,
4 >>
5 >> Thank you for the many solutions however, I am totally lost as to which
6 >> would
7 >> be most reliable in a collocation setting vs. office desktop. What we
8 >> would like
9 >> is to set up our own ntp server which other servers and desktops in our
10 >> office
11 >> syncs to. Is this advised? If so, is there a nice tutorial online?
12 >
13 > The subject of time is vastly more complex than anyone ever thinks at
14 > first look. Time servers are tiered and are themselves both clients and
15 > servers...
16 >
17 > So here's what you do: sync everything to your ISP's time servers.
18 > Chances are good they do a better job than you can, just like with DNS
19 > caching.
20 >
21 > When you know more about the subject than you do now, you can venture
22 > into rolling your own. I'm not being rude or funny - time servers are
23 > just one of those things that unless you have special needs and LOTS of
24 > cash, it is so much easier to just let someone else do all the heavy
25 > lifting.
28 > --
29 > Alan McKinnon
30 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
35 Hello Alan,
36
37 Thank you so much for your response, and I totally understand the
38 effort vs. benefit challenge. However, is it really that much
39 trouble/unstable to setup our own ntp
40 server that syncs with our local isp, and have our internal network sync on it?
41
42 N.