From: Bo Andresen <bo.andresen@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] bastard.sh - mass unmasker/keywords utility
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:45:56
1 On Tuesday 21 March 2006 10:47, Joshua Schmidlkofer wrote:
2 > So, WFM [works for me], hope it's useful to others.
3 >
4 > In any case, this is a resend of the script, since I got some
5 > ambiguous 'blocked message' errors, I put it up on my website, and
6 > left it for all:
7 >
8 > Secure: https://embassy.asylumware.com/projects/asylumware/wiki/bastard
9 > Plain: http://embassy.asylumware.com/projects/asylumware/wiki/bastard
10
11 # emerge -vp =gnome-2.14*
12
13 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
14
15 Calculating dependencies
16 !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "=gnome-2.14*" have been masked.
17 !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
18 - gnome-base/gnome-2.14.0 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
19 # John N. Laliberte <allanonjl@g.o> (12 Mar 2006)
20 # GNOME 2.14 mask. You must follow instructions here:
21 # http://d.g.o/~allanonjl/gnome/2.13/adding.from.overlay.txt
22 # for adding files from our overlay.
23 #Most of these packages will break/not compile because of eclass
24 #changes that won't be made until every package is in the tree.
25 #Don't unmask these and don't file bugs for them
26 # Start GNOME 2.14 mask
27
28 Did you the read comments here (d.g.o refers to dev.gentoo.org in case anyone
29 is wondering)? I most certainly wouldn't go ahead and unmask any package with
30 that kind of explanation why it was masked in the first place. What bothers
31 me about this, however, is not the fact that you did unmask it but rather the
32 fact the you leave a script here which is supposed to be able to unmask and
33 unkeyword any package without giving any kind of warnings about this.
34
35 IMHO any script that is made public and which does what your script is doing
36 should print out the reason why each package it unmasks was originally masked
37 and perhaps even ask for confirmation.
38
39 Also I think it is a bit amusing that running your script without any
40 arguments tells me that I should include the versioned name of any package
41 that I want unmasked/unkeyworded. And then giving any kind of argument(s)
42 makes it unmask/unkeyword gnome-2.14*. Without checking the argument(s) that
43 I gave. I know.. it's just a minor bug. I also think (without knowing it)
44 that it will in fact work for most packages when that minor bug is
45 corrected. ;)
46
47 It does, however, work for gnome-2.14.0 and it does add a LOT of lines to
48 package.keyword and package.mask. E.g. media-libs/gst-plugins-base adds five
49 lines to package.keyword i.e. version 0.10.0 to 0.10.4 on a line each. I
50 don't think the results will ever differ on the first two version numbers so
51 I think the optimal solution for this would be to just add version 0.10*. I'm
52 not sure that it will never differ though.
53
54 Just for the record I am not trying to offend you here. This is supposed to be
55 constructive critisism. ;)
58 Bo Andresen
59 --
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list