From: Joshua Schmidlkofer <joshland@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] bastard.sh - mass unmasker/keywords utility
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:34:16
1 > # emerge -vp =gnome-2.14*
2 >
3 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
4 >
5 > Calculating dependencies
6 > !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "=gnome-2.14*" have been masked.
7 > !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
8 > - gnome-base/gnome-2.14.0 (masked by: package.mask, ~x86 keyword)
9 > # John N. Laliberte <allanonjl@g.o> (12 Mar 2006)
10 > # GNOME 2.14 mask. You must follow instructions here:
11 > # http://d.g.o/~allanonjl/gnome/2.13/adding.from.overlay.txt
12 > # for adding files from our overlay.
13 > #Most of these packages will break/not compile because of eclass
14 > #changes that won't be made until every package is in the tree.
15 > #Don't unmask these and don't file bugs for them
16 > # Start GNOME 2.14 mask
17 >
18 > Did you the read comments here (d.g.o refers to dev.gentoo.org in case anyone
19 > is wondering)? I most certainly wouldn't go ahead and unmask any package with
20 > that kind of explanation why it was masked in the first place. What bothers
21 > me about this, however, is not the fact that you did unmask it but rather the
22 > fact the you leave a script here which is supposed to be able to unmask and
23 > unkeyword any package without giving any kind of warnings about this.
24
25 Yeah, so? *crickets* Thanks, the d.g.o. was pretty clear, but I can
26 imagine that confusing people, the referenced document was next to
27 useless, did you read it?
28
29 > IMHO any script that is made public and which does what your script is doing
30 > should print out the reason why each package it unmasks was originally masked
31 > and perhaps even ask for confirmation.
32
33 I'm not a baby sitter, and we are using Linux. However, due to your
34 concerns I will put in a warning, and add that as a TODO on my page.
35 Furthermore, I have no idea what concerns you really have here.
36 Nothing will format thier FS, it may Break Their Gentoo(tm). I can
37 imagine all sort of evil here. However, since I am only marginally
38 assist them, if they do something stupid, it's their own fault.
39
40 > Also I think it is a bit amusing that running your script without any
41 > arguments tells me that I should include the versioned name of any package
42 > that I want unmasked/unkeyworded. And then giving any kind of argument(s)
43 > makes it unmask/unkeyword gnome-2.14*. Without checking the argument(s) that
44 > I gave. I know.. it's just a minor bug. I also think (without knowing it)
45 > that it will in fact work for most packages when that minor bug is
46 > corrected. ;)
47
48 heh, thanks, It was very late last night, and I uploaded the wrong
49 version of the script, however, apart from the bugfix I added a
50 warning to keep people happy.
51
52 > It does, however, work for gnome-2.14.0 and it does add a LOT of lines to
53 > package.keyword and package.mask. E.g. media-libs/gst-plugins-base adds five
54 > lines to package.keyword i.e. version 0.10.0 to 0.10.4 on a line each. I
55 > don't think the results will ever differ on the first two version numbers so
56 > I think the optimal solution for this would be to just add version 0.10*. I'm
57 > not sure that it will never differ though.
58
59 Actually, that was one of my TODO items. I think that there should be
60 two options, -L for latest and the default behaviour of more
61 conservative to pick the earliest package and install that. Can you
62 submit a patch?
63
64 > Just for the record I am not trying to offend you here. This is supposed to be
65 > constructive critisism. ;)
66
67 Oh, I am not to worried about what other people think, and I never
68 pictured a warning being needed. SO, hey, it was probably good for
69 someone.
72 Sorry for typos - babies are screaming =).
73
74 Sincerley,
75 Joshua
78 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list