From: Alarig Le Lay <alarig@××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Online hosting recommendation - VMs?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 12:41:33
1 On dim. 26 mars 03:57:00 2017, Stroller wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > In the next few weeks I need to move my email server (a very old
5 > Gentoo installation) from the closet in my home, into the cloud so
6 > that I can go travelling and access my mail from anywhere.
7 >
8 > I've never used VM's before, but my understanding is that they look
9 > just like a normal machine to the users inside them, and there
10 > shouldn't be any problem with me getting used to them. My current mail
11 > server is an old 700mhz Pentium III (I think), so performance is
12 > unimportant. I guess VM's have some kind of web or VNC console I can
13 > log into for the initial install (and if I screw up remote access)?
14 >
15 > 1. Are these suppositions right?
16 > 2. Any recommendations for cheap / reliable hosting providers, please?
17 >
18 > I expect to use Gentoo because I've hardly used any other distro for
19 > years, and find others less intuitive.
20 >
21 > Thanks,
22 >
23 > Stroller.
24
25 Hi,
26
27 1. Yes, from the user point of view, it’s very similar to a physical
28 machine. You just have to use virtual drivers instead of intel/amd ones.
29
30 2. What is cheap for you? I’m part of a non for profit association that
31 rent VMs at 5 € per month for 32G of hard drive, one vCPU and 512M of
32 RAM. https://grifon.fr/services.html
35 alarig