From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best anti-virus
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 12:50:51
1 Am Freitag, 9. Mai 2008 schrieb ext Volker Armin Hemmann:
2 > On Freitag, 9. Mai 2008, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
3 > > Am Freitag, 9. Mai 2008 schrieb ext Tony Caudel:
4 > > > I am currently using the clamv anti-virus program. I was wondering
5 > > > if there is a better one for Gentoo, especially one that integrates
6 > > > well with Thunderbird. That has been my one disappointment with
7 > > > clamav. Not necessarily clamav's fault since T/B maintains its
8 > > > emails in one long file.
9 > >
10 > > Hmm, how many Linux viruses exist out there? Usually these Linux based
11 > > anti virus progs only make sense on mail servers that receive mail for
12 > > Windows users.
13 > >
14 > > Or am I completely wrong here?
15 >
16 > better save than sorry - and there is more malware than virus' and worms.
17 > A good av might be able to find some of the less sophisticated rootkits
18 > too.
19
20 On Linux, to be affected by malware received via mail, the user has to
21 explicitely:
22
23 1) Save the attachment
24 2) make it executable
25 3) finally run it
26
27 If you do all this with an attachment (eventually) received from an unknown
28 source, you deserve having your data deleted ;-)
29
30 Bye...
31
32 Dirk
33 --
34 Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
35 Configuration Manager | Fax: +49 (0)211 47068 111
36 Capgemini Deutschland | Mail: dirk.heinrichs@×××××××××.com
37 Wanheimerstraße 68 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com
38 D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733
39 GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Keyserver: www.keyserver.net