From: Nick Cunningham <nick@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Emerge question: What's with the @?
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 20:18:16
1 2009/1/13 Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com<paul.hartman%2Bgentoo@×××××.com>
5 > On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Chris Lieb <chris.lieb@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > > Hash: SHA1
8 > >
9 > > Nick Cunningham wrote:
10 > >>
11 > >>
12 > >> 2009/1/13 Chris Lieb <chris.lieb@×××××.com <mailto:chris.lieb@×××××.com
13 > >>
14 > >>
15 > >> I've noticed lately on the ML that people have been talking about
16 > using
17 > >> package sets, such as @world and @installed. I figured it was a
18 > part of
19 > >> portage 2.1.6* since using @world with 2.1.4* would result in an
20 > error
21 > >> message about an invalid package atom. However, after upgrading to
22 > >> portage 2.1.6.4, I still get the same error when doing something
23 > like
24 > >> 'emerge -up @world'.
25 > >>
26 > >> What are these package sets? What is the difference between 'emerge
27 > -up
28 > >> world' and 'emerge -up @world'? Why don't these package sets ever
29 > work
30 > >> for me?
31 > >>
32 > >> Thanks,
33 > >> Chris
34 > >>
35 > >>
36 > >> A set is basically just group of packages, you can either define you own
37 > >> using /etc/portage/ or using gentoo provided ones like @world and
38 > >> @system (which will replace the current emerge system/world usage
39 > >> eventually), aswell as useful sets such as @live-rebuild (any package
40 > >> that uses a cvs/svn/git eclass, so basically any -9999 ebuild) and
41 > >> @module-rebuild which is handy for rebuilding kernel modules. Also id
42 > >> imagine meta-packages will eventually move over to sets as it makes
43 > >> rebuilding everything or removing it much easier, currently theres only
44 > >> kde4 that makes large usage of sets but id imagine once portage 2.20
45 > >> goes stable we'l see great set adoption.
46 > >> An easy way to see what sets are available is to use the emerge
47 > >> --list-sets command.
48 > >>
49 > >> -Nick
50 > >
51 > > Thanks for the info. The @module-rebuild should come in handy. Any
52 > > idea on when we'll see 2.2* hit stable?
53 > >
54 > > Thanks again,
55 > > Chris
56 >
57 > "When it's ready" I guess is the standard answer there. :) it's masked
58 > in ~arch as well, but you can simply unmask it if you want to use it.
59 > That's what I did. I have these sets available in my system currently:
60 >
61 > downgrade
62 > installed
63 > live-rebuild
64 > module-rebuild
65 > preserved-rebuild
66 > security
67 > system
68 > unavailable
69 > world
70 >
71 > @live-rebuild is especially handy to rebuild live cvs/svn/etc ebuilds
72 > (that -9999 stuff)
73 >
74 > Paul
77 Same, here, ive been a happy user of portage 2.2 for a long time now and im
78 very happy with it and loving the ability to use sets. As with all programs
79 in ~ARCH (and especially as its also masked and under active development)
80 there may be occassional bug or other random error, but if your comfortable
81 working around them and/or reporting them then portage 2.2 is definately
82 worth a try :)
83
84 - Nick