From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Emerge question: What's with the @?
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 19:54:54
1 On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Chris Lieb <chris.lieb@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Nick Cunningham wrote:
8 >> 2009/1/13 Chris Lieb <chris.lieb@×××××.com <mailto:chris.lieb@×××××.com>>
9 >>
10 >> I've noticed lately on the ML that people have been talking about using
11 >> package sets, such as @world and @installed. I figured it was a part of
12 >> portage 2.1.6* since using @world with 2.1.4* would result in an error
13 >> message about an invalid package atom. However, after upgrading to
14 >> portage 2.1.6.4, I still get the same error when doing something like
15 >> 'emerge -up @world'.
16 >>
17 >> What are these package sets? What is the difference between 'emerge -up
18 >> world' and 'emerge -up @world'? Why don't these package sets ever work
19 >> for me?
20 >>
21 >> Thanks,
22 >> Chris
25 >> A set is basically just group of packages, you can either define you own
26 >> using /etc/portage/ or using gentoo provided ones like @world and
27 >> @system (which will replace the current emerge system/world usage
28 >> eventually), aswell as useful sets such as @live-rebuild (any package
29 >> that uses a cvs/svn/git eclass, so basically any -9999 ebuild) and
30 >> @module-rebuild which is handy for rebuilding kernel modules. Also id
31 >> imagine meta-packages will eventually move over to sets as it makes
32 >> rebuilding everything or removing it much easier, currently theres only
33 >> kde4 that makes large usage of sets but id imagine once portage 2.20
34 >> goes stable we'l see great set adoption.
35 >> An easy way to see what sets are available is to use the emerge
36 >> --list-sets command.
37 >>
38 >> -Nick
39 >
40 > Thanks for the info. The @module-rebuild should come in handy. Any
41 > idea on when we'll see 2.2* hit stable?
42 >
43 > Thanks again,
44 > Chris
45
46 "When it's ready" I guess is the standard answer there. :) it's masked
47 in ~arch as well, but you can simply unmask it if you want to use it.
48 That's what I did. I have these sets available in my system currently:
49
50 downgrade
51 installed
52 live-rebuild