From: Andrew Gaydenko <a@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] gcc 4.2 and Core 2 Duo
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:56:16
1 I have noticed, the official portage tree has included gcc 4.2. Now for
2 Core 2 Duo CPU (amd64 Gentoo arch) I use in make.conf file:
3
4 CFLAGS="-O2 -march=nocona -pipe"
5
6 gcc' changelog has this note:
7
8 --------------------
9 ...
10 IA-32/x86-64
11
12 * -mtune=generic can now be used to generate code running well on common x86 chips.
13 This includes AMD Athlon, AMD Opteron, Intel Pentium-M, Intel Pentium 4 and Intel
14 Core 2.
15 * -mtune=native and -march=native will produce code optimized for the host
16 architecture as detected using the cpuid instruction.
17 ...
19
20 The question is: must I replace '-march=nocona' with '-mtune=native and -march=native'?
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list