From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc 4.2 and Core 2 Duo
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:49:07
1 On Freitag, 20. Juli 2007, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
2 > I have noticed, the official portage tree has included gcc 4.2. Now for
3 > Core 2 Duo CPU (amd64 Gentoo arch) I use in make.conf file:
4 >
5 > CFLAGS="-O2 -march=nocona -pipe"
6 >
7 > gcc' changelog has this note:
8 >
9 > --------------------
10 > ...
11 > IA-32/x86-64
12 >
13 > * -mtune=generic can now be used to generate code running well on
14 > common x86 chips. This includes AMD Athlon, AMD Opteron, Intel Pentium-M,
15 > Intel Pentium 4 and Intel Core 2.
16 > * -mtune=native and -march=native will produce code optimized for the
17 > host architecture as detected using the cpuid instruction.
18 > ...
19 > --------------------
20 >
21 > The question is: must I replace '-march=nocona' with '-mtune=native and
22 > -march=native'?
23
24 first of all: using mtune AND march is stupid
25
26 Second, that 'feature' means that gcc looks at your CHOST and use that for the
27 march/mtune setting.
28
29 So no, don't change anything at all. march=nocona is fine. Don't touch it.
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list