From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: scripted iptables-restore
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 14:06:07
1 On 2013-10-18 7:19 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 18/10/2013 12:23, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> On 2013-10-17 10:30 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >>> I apologize. That is arguably a two factor system. When you said
5 >>> "ssh key and password", I "jumped to delusions", assuming that it was a
6 >>> standard ssh connection with the option of either key or password.
7 >>
8 >> Side question...
9 >>
10 >> So, wouldn't the simplest two-factor authentication be an SSH key that
11 >> required a password?
12
13 > No, there is no way to verify that a user has enabled a passphrase on an
14 > ssh key.
15
16 No... I mean...
17
18 If I create an SSH key that requires a password (ie, not a 'blank'
19 password), then when I use this ssh key to connect to the system it was
20 created for, and it asks for the password...
21
22 This is, as far as I can see, a poor man's 'two-factor' authentication,
23 is it not?