From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: scripted iptables-restore
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 14:38:46
1 On 18/10/2013 16:05, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-10-18 7:19 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 18/10/2013 12:23, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 >>> On 2013-10-17 10:30 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
5 >>>> I apologize. That is arguably a two factor system. When you said
6 >>>> "ssh key and password", I "jumped to delusions", assuming that it was a
7 >>>> standard ssh connection with the option of either key or password.
8 >>>
9 >>> Side question...
10 >>>
11 >>> So, wouldn't the simplest two-factor authentication be an SSH key that
12 >>> required a password?
13 >
14 >> No, there is no way to verify that a user has enabled a passphrase on an
15 >> ssh key.
16 >
17 > No... I mean...
18 >
19 > If I create an SSH key that requires a password (ie, not a 'blank'
20 > password), then when I use this ssh key to connect to the system it was
21 > created for, and it asks for the password...
22 >
23 > This is, as far as I can see, a poor man's 'two-factor' authentication,
24 > is it not?
28 I think you are misunderstanding how ssh keys work.
29
30 You do not create "an SSH key that requires a password", instead the
31 user sets up private key encryption locally with a secret. To use the
32 key it must be unlocked (decrypted) and only then can ssh use it. This
33 is completely under the USER's control, who is free to protect or not
34 protect the private key as they feel like. sshd on the server is unable
35 to enforce or influence this in any way.
36
37 Secondly, the statement "use this ssh key to connect to the system it
38 was created for" is nonsensical. A key pair has two components - public
39 and private keys, and the only thing sshd cares about is whether the
40 user connecting has the matching private key to the public one sshd can
41 read locally. The user is free to use that public key on as many or as
42 few servers as he feels like, and again sshd is in no position to
43 enforce or influence this. It is completely up to the user what he does
44 with his keys.
48 Perhaps you mean that on the server end the user's account has a
49 password defined and sshd is configured to use PAM. The PAM config could
50 require that the user authenticates successfully with ssh keys AND with
51 the Unix password before logging the user in. This can be done, but it
52 is not a common configuration and does not ship out the box. It will
53 also confuse the living daylights out of the average user who at least
54 in my world is unable to differentiate between a local ssh prompt for a
55 key passphrase, and a remote telnet prompt for a password...
61 Alan McKinnon
62 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com