From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge -j, make -j and make -l
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 10:53:29
1 On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 5:39 AM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Saturday 26 Nov 2011 15:22:15 Michael Mol wrote:
5 >> > I just wanted to share an experience I had today with optimizing parallel
6 >> > builds after discovering "-l" for Make...
7 >> >
8 >> > I've got a little more tweaking I still want to do, but this is pretty
9 >> > awesome...
10 >> >
11 >> > http://funnybutnot.wordpress.com/2011/11/26/optimizing-parallel-builds/
12 >> >
13 >> > ZZ
14 >>
15 >> Thanks for sharing!  How do you determine the optimum value for -l?
16 >
17 > How do you get emerge not to display number of jobs and load average --
18
19 The display is something emerge will show you if you've asked it to
20 build in parallel (which you did, by passing -j to emerge. That's
21 different from putting -j in MAKEOPTS.)
22
23 > I only want to compile one at a time -- much safer that way and it is
24 > doing that,
25
26 It's likely only doing that because there isn't anything it can
27 immediately build that doesn't have what it's *currently* working on
28 as a build dependency. I noted in my blog post that emerge's
29 parallelization has many of the same limitations as make's that's one
30 of the things I was talking about; there can be linchpin and keystone
31 packages which need to be built before many others. libc would be an
32 example. gcc is a frequent example.
33
34 > but now it displays all that load average and how many jobs,
35 > etc. -- any way to get rid of that display?
36
37 Forget the display; it sounds like you don't want emerge building in
38 parallel. In that event, don't pass "-j" to emerge. The display will
39 go away.
42 :wq