From: Yannick Mortier <mvmortier@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: "optimized for yoursystem" -- huh?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 15:45:40
1 2009/2/4 Prado, Renato (R.P.) <rprado@×××××××.com>:
2 >> My question can be put like this: Do binary distro's per package
3 >> optimiziations override the benefit of having arch specific
4 >> optimiziations that gentoo allows?
5 > Thinking about that... I guess a could future for future portage
6 > releases would be a USE flag the overrides the system's CFLAGS (besides
7 > -march) to what the package maintainer recommends. This would be
8 > interesting for processor-intensive stuff, like ffmpeg for example. This
9 > would also allow users to try some more dangerous flags only for
10 > packages were they are known to be safe.
14 I have -march=amdfam10 (Phenom) and I once watched the compilation of
15 ffmpeg and it said something like "CPU family amdfam10 unknown" and it
16 changed some of the CFLAGS (I can't remember which exactly) so I guess
17 something like this is already somewhere under the hood.
18
19 But I agree that a USE-Flag to decide over this behaviour would be great.
24 Currently developing a browsergame...
25 http://www.p-game.de
26 Trade - Expand - Fight
27
28 Follow me at twitter!