From: "Prado
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: "optimized for yoursystem" -- huh?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 15:39:11
1 > My question can be put like this: Do binary distro's per package
2 > optimiziations override the benefit of having arch specific
3 > optimiziations that gentoo allows?
4 Thinking about that... I guess a could future for future portage
5 releases would be a USE flag the overrides the system's CFLAGS (besides
6 -march) to what the package maintainer recommends. This would be
7 interesting for processor-intensive stuff, like ffmpeg for example. This
8 would also allow users to try some more dangerous flags only for
9 packages were they are known to be safe.