From: "Sebastián Magrí" <sebasmagri@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: "optimized for your system" -- huh?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 14:13:43
1 El mié, 04-02-2009 a las 14:31 +0100, Momesso Andrea escribió:
2 > On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 08:45:50AM -0430, Sebastián Magrí wrote:
3 > [snip]
4 > > >
5 > > > Often on gentoo related IRC chanels comes someone who asks why his
6 > > > firefox-bin (or openoffice-bin or *-bin) runs faster than his
7 > > > built-from-source firefox.
8 > > >
9 > > > Usually chan's gurus answer that upstream packagers use all the possible
10 > > > compiler optimizations (CFLAGS LDFLAGS etc.) for the given package,
11 > > > while the average gentoo users keeps a set of "system wide very safe
12 > > > optimizations" that are good for most packages, but not the best for
13 > > > every particolar package.
14 > > >
15 > > > Is that statement correct?
16 > > >
17 > > > =======
18 > > > TopperH
19 > > > =======
20 > >
21 > > I've always felt the compiled openoffice faster than the binary one, but
22 > > if it is not the case portage also gives you the chance of establishing
23 > > per-package optimisations on '/etc/portage/env/' or in the paludis
24 > > bashrc, so if one user wants an particular app to go faster, he can
25 > > research about the best way to build this one. This way, the user can
26 > > keep the very safe optimisations for the rest of the system and some
27 > > -unsafe optimisations- for the packages he want.
28 > >
29 > > It is more about choices...
30 >
31 > Sure, I've used per-package optimizations myself in some particular
32 > cases, but that's not the point.
33 >
34 > A package manteiner *should* know better than an average user which
35 > optimizations will tune better their own package.
36 >
37 > My question can be put like this: Do binary distro's per package
38 > optimiziations override the benefit of having arch specific
39 > optimiziations that gentoo allows?
42 > =======
43 > TopperH
44 > =======
45
46 It does, but I am almost sure that most of the binary distro's package
47 maintainers can't ship a package with hard optimisations because it will
48 possibly work fine on his box but not in the user's box. There is where
49 we heard histories about binary distros users compiling their apps to
50 improve it's performance, possibly breaking their system at the same
51 time.
52
53 Gentoo maintainers *should* also know better than the users which
54 optimisations can be given to the user for a package to build and work
55 fine... Other case is when it represents a risk of having unstable apps,
56 in that case dropping optimisations is necessary in order to have more
57 stable apps.