From: Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: "optimized for your system" -- huh?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 13:34:12
1 On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 08:45:50AM -0430, Sebastián Magrí wrote:
2 [snip]
3 > >
4 > > Often on gentoo related IRC chanels comes someone who asks why his
5 > > firefox-bin (or openoffice-bin or *-bin) runs faster than his
6 > > built-from-source firefox.
7 > >
8 > > Usually chan's gurus answer that upstream packagers use all the possible
9 > > compiler optimizations (CFLAGS LDFLAGS etc.) for the given package,
10 > > while the average gentoo users keeps a set of "system wide very safe
11 > > optimizations" that are good for most packages, but not the best for
12 > > every particolar package.
13 > >
14 > > Is that statement correct?
15 > >
16 > > =======
17 > > TopperH
18 > > =======
19 >
20 > I've always felt the compiled openoffice faster than the binary one, but
21 > if it is not the case portage also gives you the chance of establishing
22 > per-package optimisations on '/etc/portage/env/' or in the paludis
23 > bashrc, so if one user wants an particular app to go faster, he can
24 > research about the best way to build this one. This way, the user can
25 > keep the very safe optimisations for the rest of the system and some
26 > -unsafe optimisations- for the packages he want.
27 >
28 > It is more about choices...
29
30 Sure, I've used per-package optimizations myself in some particular
31 cases, but that's not the point.
32
33 A package manteiner *should* know better than an average user which
34 optimizations will tune better their own package.
35
36 My question can be put like this: Do binary distro's per package
37 optimiziations override the benefit of having arch specific
38 optimiziations that gentoo allows?
42 TopperH