From: "Sebastián Magrí" <sebasmagri@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: "optimized for your system" -- huh?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 13:19:58
1 El mié, 04-02-2009 a las 14:03 +0100, Momesso Andrea escribió:
2 > On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 08:58:23AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 04 February 2009 01:48:34 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 > > > So all in all, I agree. Using Gentoo is nowadays not so much a matter
5 > > > of performance optimization but of better control of how to build the
6 > > > packages and the rolling release nature (I'm tired of major updates
7 > > > every 6 months in the majority of binary distros.) I also like the USE
8 > > > flags which let me chose how to build something and get rid of
9 > > > dependencies I don't need. Administrative features like dispatch-conf
10 > > > are also very useful.
11 > >
12 > > This is the main benefit of Gentoo for me. I have to use SuSE or RHEL at work
13 > > for the database machines - Sybase will not support any other other distro -
14 > > and the 1G+ base install from those distros drive me nuts. Contrast that with
15 > > the DNS caches which run FreeBSD, the difference is about a factor of 5 if
16 > > not more.
17 > >
18 > > I also get sick and tired of installing postfix on a database machine purely
19 > > to send nagios alerts, and watching the distro "helpfully" want to pull in
20 > > PostgreSQL, MySQL, LDAP, SASL, Courier and some fancy MTA-switcher thingy.
21 > > All because the maintainer enables those features and now I gotta have them.
22 > >
23 > > No thanks. Rather give me USE so I say what goes on the box.
24 > >
25 > > --
26 > > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
29 > Often on gentoo related IRC chanels comes someone who asks why his
30 > firefox-bin (or openoffice-bin or *-bin) runs faster than his
31 > built-from-source firefox.
32 >
33 > Usually chan's gurus answer that upstream packagers use all the possible
34 > compiler optimizations (CFLAGS LDFLAGS etc.) for the given package,
35 > while the average gentoo users keeps a set of "system wide very safe
36 > optimizations" that are good for most packages, but not the best for
37 > every particolar package.
38 >
39 > Is that statement correct?
40 >
41 > =======
42 > TopperH
43 > =======
44
45 I've always felt the compiled openoffice faster than the binary one, but
46 if it is not the case portage also gives you the chance of establishing
47 per-package optimisations on '/etc/portage/env/' or in the paludis
48 bashrc, so if one user wants an particular app to go faster, he can
49 research about the best way to build this one. This way, the user can
50 keep the very safe optimisations for the rest of the system and some
51 -unsafe optimisations- for the packages he want.
52
53 It is more about choices...