From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Shared libraries in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 16:28:49
1 On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 17:26:18 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > I don't want it.
4
5 I know.
6
7 > I like Gentoo in -dev
8 > I will not allow Gentoo anywhere near -prod
9 >
10 > This is a very considered decision, as a result of already having to
11 > fix (many times) the monumental fuck ups that happen when it is done in
12 > an environment such as this.
13 >
14 > Why should I do all the work of pinning packages to known good versions
15 > when the RHEL devs have already done all the heavy lifting for me?
16
17 You shouldn't, that's why I made the point about there not being a
18 stable, frozen version of the portage tree. If that existed, pinning at a
19 stable setup would be doable, otherwise it would be a nightmare.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 Vital papers will demonstrate their vitality by moving to where you
26 can't find them.